January 24th, 2014
This week’s “Top 5” includes a bankruptcy, two new projects, start up development and storage market sizing.
1. Xtreme power filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy this week. The company still has a $100m business pipeline.
2. Aquion Energy, a start up developing a battery with a water-based electrolyte, started the operation of its commercial plant in Pittsburgh, and is sending the first products to consumers for testing.
3. ABB and Siemens will install a 1MW/1MWh li-ion battery in Australia, which will be paired up to a 1MW diesel generator. Project completion is expected in 2014.
4. According to IHS, 340 MW of storage were installed in 2012/2013, and installation rate could reach 6 GW per year in 2017, to achieve 40 GW installed by 2022.
5. Bysolar Inc chose Princeton Power System to install a 500 kW inverter paired to a 300 kWh Axion battery to support a 575 kW PV plant in New Jersey.