August 22nd, 2014
This week’s “Top 5” focuses on storage projects with news from NGK, RES Canada/BYD, Beacon Power, Panasonic and Vycon. Two of these projects were installed in Ontario, Canada.
1. In early August NGK announced the start of operation of a 3 MW/21.6 MWh NaS battery on the Hikone pharmaceutical plant belonging to Maruho Co., Ltd. in Japan. The battery will supply back up power and Instantaneous voltage sag countermeasure.
2. RES Canada completed an 8 MW/ 2.6 MWh lithium-ion battery installation in Ontario, dubbed Amphora, to provide frequency regulation. BYD America supplied the equipment. This project is not part of the 50 MW target for Ontario discussed here earlier this month.
3. Beacon power will install 165 kW of flywheels on Saint Paul Island in the Bering Sea. The storage system will be coupled to a 225 kW windfarm and 150 kW diesel genset that make the TDX Power Inc.’s hybrid plant. The addition of flywheel will cut down the fuel consumption by an estimated 30%.
4. Thirty 10 kWh Panasonic batteries have been installed in Oshawa, Ontario, to support residential PV systems in a pilot project. This project is not part of the 50 MW target for Ontario discussed here earlier this month.
5. Vycon will supply three flywheels to Mexico City Airport for landing strip lighting back up.