November 13th, 2014
This week’s “Top 5” includes two projects for RES Americas in the PJM area, a potentially very large storage plan in Texas, a partnership for residential solar storage in Europe, one for commercial storage in Canada, and new deals for Ideal Power.
1. “RES Americas will develop and construct [two 19.8 MW/7.8 MWh storage systems]. The first project, Elwood Energy Storage Center, will be located on Pilsen Road in West Chicago and the second project, Jake Energy Storage Center, will be located on Brandon Road in Joliet” For both projects mudules will be supplied by BYD America, and both are expected to be completed by August 2015 and will supply frequency regulation to PJM.
2. “Oncor [a Texas utility] will seek state regulatory approval for up to $5.2 billion in distribution-grid-connected batteries, with deployment set to start in 2018.[…] Oncor’s plan calls for up to 5 gigawatts of batteries, ranging from refrigerator-sized to containerized units”
3. European PV provider “Hanwha Q Cells […] has teamed up with Samsung’s energy solutions provider, Samsung SDI, to offer in future an integrated PV and storage solution for homeowners interested in installing a self-consumption photovoltaic rooftop system. Q.Home will be available to customers in Germany from December.”
4. “Ideal Power Inc.[…], announced today that it has received purchase orders for 3 megawatts of its 30kW battery converter product. The orders were received for delivery through mid-2015.”
5. Electrovaya will supply li-ion batteries to Walmart Canada.