This week’s TOP 5 includes the awarding of a 6 MW energy storage project in Bonaire to Wärtsilä, the approval of the USA’s first home battery project with time-of-use rates, India’s intention to build a 1GWh gigafactory, the forming of a joint venture between Toyota and Panasonic and the launching of a Li-ion battery recycling prize by the US Department of Energy.
1. Wärtsilä has been awarded a 6 MW energy storage project contract for the Caribbean island of Bonaire
2. The New Hampshire Public Utilities Commission approved USA’s first home battery storage pilot coupled with time-of-use rates and led by Liberty Utilities
3. BHEL and Libcoin will be leading a Li-ion battery gigafactory project that will start at a 1 GWh capacity and could go up to 30 GWh.
4. Toyota and Panasonic agreed to form an EV battery joint venture by 2020.
5. The US Department of Energy launched a $5.5 million prize for innovative Li-ion battery recycling projects.